Plaster Orgonite

Re: Plaster Orgonite

Unread post by Josh »

Hello Maria T
Here come the rescue :D ., we have been experimenting with different ingredients for the Plasterite in going further into simplifying the mixture, so here we are with a new formula that according to some very sensitive people is outstanding: mix your plaster with some beach sand, the proportions are in volume 4 liters of plaster for 350ml of sand. If your sand comes from a beautiful Cape Town beach nothing else to do If you have to buy your sand which would probably be washed then you will have to add some unrefined sea salt :-) to dissolve in the water you will use for the plaster. You might want to have 4lb of salt for 25 lb of plaster . You may add any crystals you want according to what you want to achieve with your piece for this particular event. Any shape will do (does not have to be a pyramid, actually better if not - old energy -). We are using all sorts of conical molds/glasses, vases, cooking molds, cake molds. We have posted all sorts of different shape and form for you to look at :) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

And this is what we have found to work the best for releasing the devices from the molds: wax your molds with just any car wax, then spray with silicon or any professional release agent (made with parafin), we have used a product call Pam (canola oil...not good) and does not result in the smooth surface, do not be fooled by this so ordinary plaster stuff it really works regardless what any pajama people are saying
j

Unread post by Josh »

Please Tony, share with everyone say it the way it is :o :o I promess you will not be banned :lol: :lol:
j

Unread post by Spirit Walker »

If you insist... LOL :) Aho Brother!!! :)

So the pictured new mix is sans any crushed metal or crushed crystal. New mix is plaster, charged water (3 minutes in blender on high, w/rare earth mags opposite each other, source bottled spring water), store bought sand (from Michaels Craft), some sea salt, and clear quartz crystal in center of each piece, surrounded by four smaller quartz crystals in each direction, all facing same direction, on same center level, and pinches of several powdered resins from myrrh, frankincense, amber, and dragons blood. All to boost protection and well being. Tap water, here in Maryland, turns yellowish color after 3 minutes in blender, and changed the color of my 1st and 2nd batches. Last batch was bottled spring water spun up, no color change but "thickness" did alter it seemed. Mixing all together was a delightful mess, still have stains on carpet to clean up. Now that I've started to using a very fine grade to sand down the uneven bottoms, I've discovered even more ways to get plaster on everything I own! LOL :) OH Well. Big Note: This is far more than Josh is putting in his right now, please reference his mix for precise and proper go of it. Mine have a very marbled look to them, son said it looked like concrete with marble thrown in to...

Plan to have all 3 kids this weekend helping with 5th batch, tomorrow night will do 4th. Next time I see one of those plastic cones in a parking lot..... ;) I really want something huge and heavy... :) Can't help it, will wrap 144 feet of electrical extension cord and plug in my salt lamp, then just smile and smile.... If my youngest daughter gets as excited as my other two children, I'll get her to make her own too, to take with her back home. Note to self, make some for "that" home too! :) Not sure if the sudden change in weather to clear blue skies and almost cool temps is due to anything I made, but it sure does feel better now that the last batch is "live".... :0

Aho!

Tony
Spirit Walker

Unread post by MariaT »

josh wrote:
Hello Maria T
Here come the rescue :D ., we have been experimenting with different ingredients for the Plasterite in going further into simplifying the mixture, so here we are with a new formula that according to some very sensitive people is outstanding: mix your plaster with some beach sand, the proportions are in volume 4 liters of plaster for 350ml of sand. If your sand comes from a beautiful Cape Town beach nothing else to do If you have to buy your sand which would probably be washed then you will have to add some unrefined sea salt :-) to dissolve in the water you will use for the plaster. You might want to have 4lb of salt for 25 lb of plaster . You may add any crystals you want according to what you want to achieve with your piece for this particular event. Any shape will do (does not have to be a pyramid, actually better if not - old energy -). We are using all sorts of conical molds/glasses, vases, cooking molds, cake molds. We have posted all sorts of different shape and form for you to look at :) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

And this is what we have found to work the best for releasing the devices from the molds: wax your molds with just any car wax, then spray with silicon or any professional release agent (made with parafin), we have used a product call Pam (canola oil...not good) and does not result in the smooth surface, do not be fooled by this so ordinary plaster stuff it really works regardless what any pajama people are saying
j

Josh, you are a star! I'll give it a go. For ease of calculation I'll mix 1 part sand (co-incidentally I have some Cape Town beach sand!) to 11 parts of plaster. I've just got back from collecting some copper dust from a woman who bronzes items, so I'll add a pinch of that together with the 5 quartz crystals and some chips of other crystals.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Unread post by Nepenthe »

Postby nepenthe on Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Josh thanks for starting this great topic. I'm getting ready to go shopping for the ingredients of my first attempt at making orgonite, (never made the resin, so this is a real first) and going down your list - apart from the large crystal, how much crushed crystal does one need, or can it be eliminated?
And is copper powder required - how much in proportion to the mold? Don't know any machine shops near me where I can get these, can you buy them at a hardware shop or craft shop - (if I don't want to go online, getting impatient). If I can't get powder, can I use something else?
And what are oxides, sorry, these are strictly orgonite for dummies questions. :|

Isabelle
nepenthe

Unread post by Josh »

Isabelle As soon as you make a few of these you will be an expert :D
Alright, for the regular Orgonite:
Two kind of matrix, one is the polyester resin, and the other is epoxy resin, one (the polyester smell terrible and is toxic) the second (epoxy) do not smell
The price of the two is about the same from US composites, except for the really inexpensive polyester resin that is roughly $25 per gal. as the other polyesters and epoxy are in the same price range 34 to 38 per gallon, when you buy a greater quantity they wont charge you as much, I just got 10 gal of epoxy : one to one ratio thick epoxy#150 for $278, that makes it $27 per gallon, if you get only one gallon it will cost you $38, so considering all factors, I rather use the epoxy.

For the metals you have many choices, but the smaller the better, any oxides will work especially well, but at this point you must use crushed crystal for thorough dispersion, otherwise a single block crystal is not going to give you the full strength within the device, to get the oxide really cheap go there:

http://www.ecrater.com/p/3572285/30-lb- ... xide-fe3o4
This is the place where you will find the iron oxide at $1 per pound, and these are the best prices, you can mix with it some metal shavings, no problem, with or without.
If you are going to do only with the powder, one thing to remember: you will not need that voluminous of a device because with the powder it is quite strong.
For the proportions, this is what I do, say I am going to make a few pendants; in a small container, such as an old yogurt container, you will put 1/2 a cup to 3/4 cup of resin (mixed) so if you use a one to one ratio of epoxy, you would put in 1/4 cup of one and 1/4 cup of the other, mix them really good before you put in anything else
Then ad your oxide and your crushed crystals one to one: one Tbsp of oxide, one Tbsp of crushed crystals....two of oxide, two of crystal.... three of oxide....... in other words, equal amount of each, when the mixture is thick and a little difficult to stir, this is when you pour it in the molds.

For mold to make nice pendants you can use the mini muffin molds, there is 24 small muffins hole in it, so you can pour (with a 1/2 cup resin) about 6, do not fill them or they may be too thick to have hanging around your neck.
When you do devices with epoxy it is good to always have another container ready to receive your extra resin, like a large cone, and after awhile it will be all filled up then you have another device without wasting anything.
Are you OK with what to do for lubricating your mold, if not let me know and we shall help with it
If you can get silicon molds they are the best since you do not have to lubricate them
Good luck, please ask questions before you get in trouble :oops: :oops: :oops:
josh

Unread post by Nepenthe »

Thanks for the crash course Josh. I'm planning to start very small so as to save cost and minimize epic failures.... :roll:

I checked out US Composite and the price of epoxy 1:1 #150 is $64.50 for a single gallon kit and $498 for 10 gallons, quite expensive. Did you buy from them direct?

I got most of your directions but can you elaborate a bit on the following?
josh wrote:
you will put 1/2 a cup to 3/4 cup of resin (mixed) so if you use a one to one ratio of epoxy, you would put in 1/4 cup of one and 1/4 cup of the other, mix them really good before you put in anything else
Then ad your oxide and your crushed crystals one to one: one Tbsp of oxide, one Tbsp of crushed crystals....two of oxide, two of crystal.... three of oxide....... in other words, equal amount of each, when the mixture is thick and a little difficult to stir, this is when you pour it in the molds.

Not sure what you mean by "one to one ratio of epoxy". Are you describing the 1:1 as in resin:hardener mix? or a layering process, say 1/4 cup of resin/hardener+oxide to 1/4 cup of resin/hardener+crushed crystals, then when they start to thicken, pouring both in the mold one at a time?

This may sound nutty but I was thinking of making muffin size regular orgonite with the epoxy and another set using separate muffin molds for the plaster version since the hardening time is different. And hopefully be able to compare the vibes of epoxy to plaster. Do I use the same proportion of crushed crystal, metal shavings, and oxides for the plaster orgonite as for the epoxy one?

Isabelle

BTW, I have a friend who was given a TB cast-off by a local maker which gave him one of the worst nightmares of his life and has been very suspicious of orgonite ever since. The thing looked harmless enough but I guess it was a very bad mix. Yikes. :o
nepenthe

Unread post by Nepipemi »

Hi Isabelle,
Welcome!

At US Composites, you can use the EB polyester resin which is cheaper. It is a brownish green resin. By the time you pay shipping on 1 gallon, you could have paid the same amount at Autozone or Walmart for their Bondo brand resin. They work just the same but the EB resin is a bit higher quality meaning a touch easier to work with. With poly resin, you use a liquid MEKP catalyst that is measured in drops.

Josh has also had good luck with epoxy which is what he was describing. The catalyst for epoxy is a thick liquid and mixes in like a 1:2 ratio or something like that. He's the expert there.
This may sound nutty but I was thinking of making muffin size regular orgonite with the epoxy and another set using separate muffin molds for the plaster version since the hardening time is different. And hopefully be able to compare the vibes of epoxy to plaster.

I think this is a stellar idea. The plaster concept is relatively new and it is exciting to hear people's response in a side by side comparison.
BTW, I have a friend who was given a TB cast-off by a local maker which gave him one of the worst nightmares of his life and has been very suspicious of orgonite ever since. The thing looked harmless enough but I guess it was a very bad mix. Yikes. :o

It is possible that it wasn't bad orgonite but that he had not acclimated to the piece yet.

Best regards to you!
Nepi

Unread post by Josh »

Hello Nepi good morning and good morning Isabelle

The price that you have looked at is correct except that when it quoted the price for one gallon; it is one gallon of each, hardener and epoxy, so you would get 2 gallons for that price, the same for the 10 gal deal, you would get 20 gallons for that price ($ 498), this is the kind of epoxy where the amount of hardener and epoxy are the same.

Mixing the epoxy, measure equal amount of hardener and epoxy (one to one ratio)
Mix thoroughly
Ad your oxide and crushed crystals
When it is thick pour it in the molds

One of the benefit that I find with this (one to one thick epoxy 150) is that it gives me a long time to work, because according to the temperature it will take 8 to 12 hours to harden, Some of the polyester resin will harden within a half hour

For the plaster you use only some crushed crystal, plaster and water, no metal ( or just a pinch of copper powder but not no necessary)and it will harden within a half hour

For the Orgonite you use resin, metal and crystal

Hope this is of help

josh

Unread post by Sacred »

now for another newbie's question ... are these charged after they're made, or is it the combo of what they're made of that has the charge?